Tuesday, July 25, 2006

We interrupt this program...

It seems that the topic of marriage is everywhere these days. Gay marriage, Hollywood marriage and scandal, 2nd and 3rd marriages, divorce, and on and on. Luckily the value and significance of marriage has also been a recurring topic.
I recently learned that a lovely friend of mine is getting divorced after only 2 years of marriage, although they have been together all throughout their 20's and now heading into their 30's. Basically their entire adult lives. I wholeheartedly support my friend in her quest for happiness and feel true sadness for their loss.

For some reason I can't get this out of my head.

I will be the first person to admit that marriage takes a lot of work. More work than I ever imagined actually. Charming Husband and I have a lot of differences to begin with and throwing two babies into the mix certainly hasn't made life less challenging.
And I applaud anyone who finds love and commits to marriage at any age. I wish them only success.
In my case however, I am so happy that I was a little older when I got married. I suppose it really is only circumstance that I only met my CH and fell in love in my late 20's and then married a few years later.

I am just relieved that I had a chance to be on my own, and be young and naive and stupid and outrages at times. I got to make mistakes and learn from them and be sorry and live with my choices and be independent.
It's not that I'm all brilliant and perfect now, it's just that I never question my decision to get married. On the day we got married I had never been so sure of anything in my life. Today, I feel even more so.

It has felt like a struggle at times over the past 17 months and 11days, but if anything I am only more determined. My marriage has value and significance and purpose.

Whew, I am going to make sure I read this over the next time I'm all crankypants at CH!
I appologize for the sudden outburt of emo. I just had to get it out.

That is all.

Now back to your regular programming!

3 comments:

ilaedgar said...

OMG L, I love your blog. You've brought tears to my eyes as I just read your recent thoughts on marriage. AND you've opened my eyes to the fact that my blog can be much more than just pictures of our little sumo man .... but also allow me to express myself in other ways. Thank you for that. You are a great friend and you never cease to amaze me. I hope you know how much I love you!!
xo

Peace Sweet Peas said...

ME TOO! There are days when I think about what it would have been like to have been married to one of my exs and I'm so thankful that that never happened.

I'm starting to understand those women who are so lost when their husband's die. THE BIG BANANA and I are so intertwined.

Two Mittens said...

I'm lucky to have such great friends!