Monday, May 02, 2011

Motherhood Series - Lara

And I guess it's only fair that I begin...

1. Tell us about yourself!
I am a stay at home mom to 3 kids. I have twin boys who are 6 now and a daughter who will be 4 in a few weeks. I have been married for 8 years and had my twins when I was 34. I think that makes me an 'older' mom ;)

2. What were your expectations of motherhood before you had kids? (ie. Did you think you'd have a whole houseful of kids? Did you see yourself as a mother at all? Did you wonder if it would ever happen?)
When I was a kid I always thought that I'd have 3 kids. It just seemed like the perfect number. I'm the oldest of all the grand kids on both sides of my family and I always loved babies. As I grew up I was never consumed by thoughts of children. I just knew that I wanted a family. In a weird sort of way, I thought of it more as having these great people who would always be part of my life.


3. What has been(was) your biggest surprise about Motherhood? (different than you expected? or wish someone had told you?)

I have been around kids from an early age and spent a LOT of time babysitting so I didn't think I would be that surprised. I was wrong!

It has been really difficult in ways I didn't expect. Mentally and emotionally difficult. I didn't expect that having children would test every inch of my being. I didn't expect to find out that my sanity was such a fragile thread.

3 kids in just over 2 years almost killed me at times! I didn't expect it to be as hard as it has been. I think it sounds terrible to say, but I thought I would enjoy it more.
I think the almost total loss of freedom for the past few years has been the toughest part. There were just so many things I couldn't do with 2, or 3 of them. Or I couldn't do it without a huge amount of stress and often embarrassment (screaming kids, or running away tipping over a shopping cart while they're in it, or various other awesome events).

It's definitely getting easier as they get more independent. Those couple of years between when naps end and preschool begins were the toughest for me. No real down time.
I think I've just come to terms with the idea that I'll be a better mom to school age kids!

And I've said this before but it still stands. No matter how the day has gone, at night when they are asleep they are so beautiful you can hardly believe it you know you would do anything for them. Even clean puke out of an entire room and 52 loads of laundry.


4. Biggest joy?

My kids are healthy and bright and creative (sometimes too creative!).
We love having adventures together. We love going out somewhere new and exploring (usually outside, but exploring indoors more too, like the Tyrrell museum, etc). We love going on adventures together as a family and hope to do that more. I love seeing their curiosity and joy in learning new things. Or finding things they're good at.


5. Best wish for your children?

My husband and I often talk about helping our kids find their passions and pursuing them.
Basically I want them to feel they are loved and supported and capable of doing whatever makes them happy


6. How do you find time for yourself/what do you do?

I suspect this may be something we all have in common. It is elusive and ever-changing.
Sometimes I can sit here at the computer while the kids are playing in the other room. Blogging has been a way for me to feel connected. Photography is a joy for me, and I always feel lighter after visiting with my sister/girlfriends!
I'm struggling with this a bit at the moment, so I know I need to carve out some time even if it's not convenient. For my husband. HA.


7. What do you wish you had more of? Less of?

More: cheap babysitters, fun/relaxing time with my hubby, adventures/vacations, motivation to work out, cute dresses, an extra hour to sleep in the morning, sunny days, salad rolls, family photos, individual time with my kids.
Less: housework, clutter, pee around/on the toilet (as opposed to IN)


8. What do you hope your kids learn from you?

I hope my kids love to be creative and love to read.
I hope they learn to be organized from their dad.


9. What are some of the best things you learned from your own mother?


To love to learn and to read. Always continue learning. You don't have to treat your kids all the same. They have different needs, wants, and challenges. Enjoy your kids. Get involved with their activities. Listen to them.
Make time to do the things you enjoy. It's important to pursue your creativity. You can't do it all and have a clean house all the time ;)
Love you Mom!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Lovely idea Lara - love your post!

Two Mittens said...

Feel free to copy/paste your own! I'd love to read it, or post it here :)

Daisy Patch said...

I wrote my answers on a piece of paper.Now I just have to type them on the computer. :)

Two Mittens said...

I'm looking forward to reading it DP!