Saturday, May 07, 2011

Motherhood Series - Alisha

Alisha is a dynamic, funny, big-hearted woman. A lot of energy in a small package :) When I first knew her, she used to change her hair color every other week. And she totally made it work!
I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to photograph Alisha and Dave's engagement photos, as well as their wedding, and last fall their family with their tiny baby son. They are a great team. They laugh a lot, which is contagious!
Alisha has the heart to want to change the world and the determination and compassion to make it happen. She's not afraid to do the difficult things. She's also hilarious and girlfriend rocks a hair-do!


1. Tell us about yourself!

I am 32 years old. I am a social worker by trade and somewhat in my daily life. I hate seeing injustices done to the 'little' people. I am very passionate about helping people. I work for Child Welfare. Despite what people may think or been through, we jut don't take children away because we can. :) I love my job. I would love to adopt and or be a foster parent... the world needs good homes for children. I got married by 27 and in some circles that may be considered 'old'. I am glad I waited... not that I had much of a choice there. I was able to travel to different parts of the world (England, Australia, Spain). My husband and I both enjoy doing service - we have gone to Nicaragua to help communities there. We absolutely LOVED it. My dream is to work in Africa... we'll see.
I have one 7 month old boy who is now the centre of my actions. I can no longer do anything without thinking of him. It's great!

2. What were your expectations of motherhood before you had kids?
When I go into anything I try to limit my expectations because I do not want to be disappointed. Like marriage, for example. I didn't go into it thinking it would always be wonderful. I went into it thinking at one point one of us or both us may want to leave. :) I went in thinking we would fight/argue but we'd resolve it. With motherhood, I went into it thinking, if I can get through labor I can probably handle anything else. :) Dave and I want to have 4 but my 1st pregnancy was not pleasant so I will try a 2nd one and if it's just as bad or worse, we will adopt after. I had someone say to me once that they never thought I'd be a parent... I wasn't sure how to take it. Being pregnant is super surreal and I was truly hoping I would have a great pregnancy but after 9 months of throwing up I settled with a great baby who sleeps 12 hrs a night. yep, 12 hrs. I don't even have to drug him! My biggest fear was not being able to have any children. I have been blessed with one so far. :)


3. What has been(was) your biggest surprise about Motherhood?

Because I am such a 'young' mom my experience is limited. My son is 7 .5 months old... my biggest surprises are yet to come.

4. Biggest joy?
I'd say that the biggest joy was when he was born but that's kind of selfish because the joy was related to me not throwing up anymore...
Honestly though, the first time my son laughed... it still is a joy. I love the simplicity.

5. Best wish for your children?
Health. As long as they have a healthy body and mind then anything else is possible.

6. How do you find time for yourself/what do you do?

My husband is a great help. He gets up in the morning with him most days which allows me a little more sleep. I think God knows I do not function on little sleep which is why my son sleeps so well. When I do have time I LOVE baths and reading and working out.

7. What do you wish you had more of? Less of?

Less stress. I don't wish for more time because it would probably cause more stress. I do wish for more patience.... in every aspect of life. I really don't want my son seeing my road rage. :)

8. What do you hope your kids learn from you?

I hope they learn that they can do anything they set their heart on. I hope they love helping people and that there is a world outside of theirs.

9. What are some of the best things you learned from your own mother?

A love for learning, reading and genealogy. I was adopted and when my mom found out that her and my dad would be getting a baby she prayed the baby would be a girl and if it was a girl she prayed for twins. She got what she prayed for. Twin girls. I learned that I may not always like my family but it was where I was meant to be.

No comments: