Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Motherhood Series - Brooke

Brooke is beautiful and talented and my cousin. She has a wonderful gift in being able to talk to/befriend everyone. Even though I try not to make quick(surface) judgements about people, I know I do sometimes. She won't judge you, or think you have nothing in common. I really admire that about her.
And her son is totally adorable!

1. Tell us about yourself!

I am a fairly young mom. I had my son when I was 25 but we had also tried for a few years to get him here, so I felt like I was getting “old” (more so in comparison to my friends who already had 2 kids by then). I wanted to be a young mom because I wanted my kids to have young, fun grandparents that could do a lot with them. I knew I would need the breaks!

My son is 2 years old and I work 3 days a week. I find it a good balance between spending time with him and getting some “me time” where I feel like I actually use my brain a bit.

2. What were your expectations of motherhood before you had kids?

I definitely saw myself as a mother, but I always knew that I would enjoy working. I figured that staying home with kids would just be fun and I could go take them to all the fun activities I always heard my friends doing when I was working.


3. What has been (was) your biggest surprise about Motherhood? (Different than you expected? or wish someone had told you?)

The biggest shock was just how hard it is to get time for yourself. It is so overwhelming just to leave the house some days. When I am home the last thing I want to do is take care of my house. Sometimes I feel like I have to CHOOSE between being a good mom and taking care of myself personally.


4. Biggest joy?
Seeing your child do something or say something for the first time. It always shocks me a little.


5. Best wish for your children?

To be kind and contributing members of society. Get a good job and have fun with your family and friends.

6. How do you find time for yourself/what do you do?

My husband and I will switch off one night a week, so we each get a night away without having to hassle with finding a babysitter. I also make time for myself a priority. I have the luxury right now with only 1 that I can let him play with his trains while I sew on the other side of the room. Or he eats in his high chair while I read my book. I just MAKE it happen.

7. What do you wish you had more of? Less of?

As all mothers, I wish I had more time. More time at work, more time at home. Less dirty diapers? I always want someone to tell me how to schedule my day. I want to me more “in the moment” with my son and have more interactive play time with him but I don’t even know how to start.

8. What do you hope your kids learn from you?

I wish my kid(s) would learn to enjoy being themselves, work hard, play hard, and just do the best they can. Learning that from me? We will have to see.

9. What are some of the best things you learned from your own mother?

To relax. While pregnant and with a newborn around people were always giving out advice. I would see some moms with signs to not ring the door bell. My mom always told me to let them make lots of noise so your babies will sleep through it. Don’t exclude yourself and lock yourself in the house just because you have a kid. You can cart them everywhere.

My mom was also a saving grace because I had post partum depression. Some days the thought of even leaving the house was so overwhelming that I would freak out and just watch TV because it was all I could handle. She always sensed these moments and would come pick us up and take us out. Even if it was just running to Wal-Mart or running errands it always made me feel like I could do it. For some reason, it’s loading up the car that does it for me. Once I am in, we are good to go, but getting there requires mental prep. To this day I call her when I need a mental cheer leader.

No comments: