Saturday, March 24, 2007

March 24

Today is my 4th wedding anniversary!
It seems I cannot think of my anniversary without thinking about my wedding day. I suppose that is the beauty of it.
It was not a traditional wedding, by any means. I guess you can say CH and I eloped, although we didn't really plan it that way. We actually didn't plan it much at all. Which was also the beauty of it!

CH (formerly Charming Boyfriend) was down in Tucson, AZ riding and training in the beautiful Arizona spring weather. He had the good fortune to be there for several weeks, and I came down for a mini vacation. We had been discussing getting married, but CB waited until I got there to make it 'official'.
That was on a Friday.
The idea of months or weeks of planning, and organizing and stress seemed daunting ahead of us. I never had dreams of a big fairytale wedding. The thought of driving to Vegas flitted quickly through my mind. Too far and too cheesy, although I do understand the appeal (I once thought it appalling). It turns out you can get married in Tucson pretty easily too!

We picked up our marriage liscence on Monday morning down at the courthouse. I remember the two of us sitting outside in a little courtyard considering our options. CB always said we could do whatever I wanted. I really only wanted to be married. We had been together for a few years by then, so it doesn't make compete sense, but there was a feeling of urgency. Of just wanting to move onto the next phase of our lives.

And so we got married at dusk that evening, in a little park, in Tucson, Arizona. Just the two of us, and a wacky, but sweet marriage official and her husband and daughter as witnesses. It's not that I didn't want to share that experience with our loved ones, or that we're just a wild and crazy couple who do things on a whim.
There was just something pure and simple about it. Like if you peel off all the layers of a wedding with the fancy clothes and music and decorations, and arguing over invitations and who to invite (etc, etc) and you're left with just the core. The bottom line. I don't know if I would have allowed myself to be completely in the moment with all the other distractions.
It was a beautiful thing.

And so I'm thankful for this day of reflection. I'm thankful for the past 4 years with all their craziness that has come our way (children). I'm thankful for the future that lays ahead.
And I'm thankful for my beautiful charming Husband.
I'd marry you all over again in a heartbeat!

2 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Very well said.
Perfect & lovely. What more could anyone ask for?

I still remember, somehow just "knowing" that you two were getting married while you were away.:)

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Definitely Happy Anniversary. That is a totally touching and very cool story!