Friday, December 22, 2006

3 More Sleeps

Originally we had planned to spend Christmas here in our lovely new home. We've never done that before, and thought it might be nice not to haul the kids and gifts and all the accessories around and invite family to join us here, while getting to sleep in our own beds.

Yah, that's not happening. We are getting up Christmas morning and driving to spend the day with family. Not that I have any problem with family. I don't. I guess it's just the change in expectation of what I thought it would be.

BUT...as reality sets in, I realize I am plenty happy not to be cooking and cleaning for a housefull of people right now. As much as the idea of a cozy house full of Christmas cheer is delightful, I suspect reality is not quite so glorious. At any rate, we still have wrapping and last minute shopping and a birthday tomorrow, and entertaining on Christmas eve, before we even get to 'The Big Day'.

For me, the build up to Christmas day is the true excitement. It's all the getting ready and planning surprises and festive spirit. As long as the stress and shopping doesn't kill it completely. As with so many things, it's more the journey than the destination.

In case I don't get a chance to say it later, may your stocking be filled with oranges, and not a lump of coal! Happy eggnog and turkey! May your pants have elastic and get a nap after dinner! Enjoy your children, or your family or friends, or whoever you are lucky enough to spend time with! May drunken relatives be cheerful and not embarrassing! All is happy and bright!

And to my fiesty little Grandma R, who passed away on Christmas day two years ago, we miss you and think of you often. Much love!

2 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Ahhh...well put Mrs. M.
Your little fellows are the best present yet...enjoy them!
Festive Greetings to your household.

April said...

Say happy birthday to DH for us! We miss Grandma R too!