Sunday, November 05, 2006

First Sunday

So we jammed last week, but got brave and went to our new ward for church this week. I've been telling myself that it will be a new adventure and we'll make new friends, and it will be fun. I'm optimistic that way!

Who was I kidding?

It took me a long time to feel comfortable where we were. I'm basically pretty shy, and uncomfortable around new people. It takes me a long time to get to know anyone usually. I have friends who are amazingly friendly and outgoing. I am not. Today was just a blinding reminder of that. There were a couple of familiar faces, people that a knew about a million years ago, or vaguely familiar. Luckily my sister was at my side. She's a great wingman!
There's still that kid inside me who feels like the gawky new kid at school. You'd think there was a time limit on that. Nope. I missed my friends and familiar faces.

I like to think that I'm a fairly good adapter. I like to make the best of things and not get all freaked out. The past few weeks have been tougher than I expected. A lot of change.

The kids faired way better than I did today. They both played happily in the new nursery and The Bee didn't even have a meltdown. He even did some excellent coloring on a page titled "Why I'm Thankful For My Ears". It's up on the fridge.

4 comments:

YoJo said...

You're not shy WITH ME!?!?!! ;) And take it from a former airforce brat - you'll adapt, baby. Just stay close to the wingman and lucky charms...

Anonymous said...

You know you could keep coming to 5th ward :)

That'd be cool

Mrs. M said...

It'll all come together Mrs. Mitten. In a few months it'll feel like home. Plus having two little mittens will force you to meet people as they are magnets unto others.

Jen Schack said...

Man, do I feel your pain. I underestimated the amount of time it would take me to adjust to our new ward last year. I figured we would invite a few people over, go to a few events and in no time we would be in the groove. My life didn't have the same plans and I couldn't do any of the above because I was so busy with school. My greatest friendships made in that ward were with 2 couples we went to boot camp with (2 months before we moved out) and the 12 little Sunbeams I taught! Sometimes life isn't how we plan it, but there are things to help us grow in new ways. I miss you already...but am only a phonecall away! Cheers, my friend.