Thursday, May 10, 2012

Michelle - Motherhood Series 2012

Michelle is my dear cousin. And while I am the oldest cousin on that side of our family (that used to seem a lot cooler) Michelle was the first to have a family and become a mom. So she has been a great example. She is being very modest about her own accomplishments and her children who are extremely talented and lovely people.

Michelle I admire how you have supported and loved your kids and your whole family. You really operate as a family unit, encouraging each other and putting in the time and effort to live your dreams.
I'm so proud to be related to you ;)


1. Tell us about yourself!
I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, an aunt, a friend, a chef , a taxi cab, a gymnastics teacher and I wear a few other hats. All of these titles come with a huge amount of responsibility of which I am glad to wear on my sleeve. I love that I am able to love, serve and grow with special people every day.

2. What were your expectations of motherhood before you had kids? (ie. Did you think you'd have a whole houseful of kids? Did you see yourself as a mother at all? Did you wonder if it would ever happen?
I always wanted to be a mother, although I never really considered how difficult it would be. Or how much you would worry, fret , feel joy, sadness, happiness ,frustration and every other emotion one person could feel.

3. What has been(was) your biggest surprise about Motherhood? (different than you expected? or wish someone had told you?)
Ok so the biggest surprise about motherhood, I would have to say is "time". No one told me how much time would be spent perfecting my skills. Which by the way are not even perfected yet. Time is something so intricate. Time is all about perspective, we often wonder where does the time go? Have I spent it wisely? Did I use it to teach my children everything they need to know? Did I take time to look after my self? So I thought I had control of time, my life had been going according to the plan... marriage, kids- 2 of them 2.5 year apart, a great job I loved, a great husband and then time seemed to get away. I had come to the conclusion that life would be a happy family of 4. Surprise, I guess I had was getting to much "me" time because we were blessed with a sweet little spirit to once again guide through this life. I often have pondered if maybe I wasn't getting right with the first 2 so I am getting a second chance to redeem myself. But I have wonderful, thoughtful children that teach me so much.

*just to be clear, Michelle has two teenagers (daughter and son) and a sweet one year old boy!

4. Biggest joy?
My family brings me my biggest joy. There are always hurdles to jumped and races to be ran but as I reflect on what really brings me joy, I can say that the little stresses go away and all that remains are the blessings I am privileged to receive.

5. Best wish for your children?
My best wish for my children is for them to follow their dreams. I hope that as a mother I instill in them a sense of confidence and character to press forward, find what makes them happy, share it with others and make more happiness in the world that surrounds them.I hope my kids learn to seek after happiness and not be selfish in the journey. I want them to understand that true happiness don't come from the pursuit of the world's riches, but comes from spending time with loved ones, working hard and facing each day as a new exciting challenge. Take time to enjoy the process of life, there is much good to be found.I hope that they realize after all the work is done, they will be blessed with all the riches they could imagine.

6. How do you find time for yourself/what do you do?
Finding time for myself can be difficult, I am not sure I have perfected that skill yet. In moments, I repeat "short moments", I get to my self I try and do the things that bring me a little piece of happiness. I enjoy scrapbooking, photography and all things creative. I enjoy dinners out and walks with friends. Lately as a "new mother" of a 12 month old, I often look for sleep. haha

7. What do you wish you had more of? Less of?
I think this is a trick question! This answer changes daily maybe even hourly depending on the situation. But on a serious level, I would have to say that as my kids get older I wish for nothing. I really have all I could ask for. If some one was to give me less laundry, housework, bills and deadlines, I might take them up on it.

8. What do you hope your kids learn from you?
I think the question should be what do I hope my children don't learn from me. I am pretty sure I have lots of bad habits that do not need to be passed on.
If I had only one thing I hope my children learn from me it is to hard work. All things that come to someone are because of hard work. Hard work can be applied to relationships, home, jobs and even fun. Work Hard,Play hard, Love hard.

9. What are some of the best things you learned from your own mother?
There is much to be said about the best things I learned from my mother. I am still learning from her. She is an amazing woman. She taught me to work hard. She taught me to persevere. She taught me that I do not have to follow the world to live in it. She taught me that I can do good. She taught me to be humble. She taught me to Love. She taught me to stand up for what I believe. She has molded me to become who I am today, for that I am forever grateful for her efforts as a mother. I hope that I am as amazing as her one day!

 * I just have to add my two cents here that Michelle really does have an amazing mom ;)

No comments: