Monday, January 30, 2012

Grateful 30/01/12 - The Arts Edition

So I was asked to be a presenter at The Arts day at my boys' school last week. It was a brand new event that I'm sure they hope to continue and I was thrilled to see them put it all together.
I've identified myself as 'an artist' since I was about 4 or 5 years old and has been a constant love throughout my life.
So imagine my disappointment through my own school years when art was just a kind of throw away subject.
I even took Industrial Arts in Jr. High so I could 'make stuff' rather than the girl-typical Home Ec classes (explains a lot now, doesn't it).
However, while I enjoyed painting ceramics and printmaking and a few other subjects, what I really got was to spend time with some jacking-around teen age boys who couldn't pay attention and a teacher who was painfully shy and not very communicative (although he was probably well intentioned, the boys were a lot to manage in a shop full of power tools).
All around, less than inspiring.

(I then went to 'art school' for college which was a thrill for me although in my own mind I saw it as a bit of an indulgence since 'artists' never make any money...but that's perhaps another topic...I digress)

Now back to the present...when a lovely friend of mine asked if I'd be interested in presenting a class on Photography for the kids at school my mind became a swirl of fear and excitement.
The more I thought about it, the more excited I became. Especially with focus more on the creative process. It was so much fun just thinking about what I could talk about with a group of fresh young minds!
It become a process of paring down the information to a reasonable amount for 3-6 graders so I didn't totally overwhelm then with all my excitement about photography.
When the day came I taught 4 sessions (which is good practice at getting over nerves) and I explained a few simple concepts and showed examples from my own work and then let them loose with cameras. Which was pretty awesome/hilarious to watch!

1. I am grateful for the enthusiasm of the teachers and parents at the school who made it a priority to have different artists come in and show a diversity of creative arts to the kids. (although the ultimate goal would be to have a yearlong program or multiple programs - but one step at a time)

2. I love photography. It was fun to really ponder and reflect on what makes me happy about this medium and how I got to where I am today. And looking back at photos of my kids - fun for me.

3. I am ever grateful to my mom who came into town to spend the day with my daughter so that I could spend the day doing something that was important to me. And rather than feeling left out The Babe got to spend a special day crafting and playing and being the center of attention. It doesn't get much better than that. Thanks Mom!

No comments: