Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Greats

This is for my Grandma.
I come from a long line of feisty women. They traveled and pioneered and farmed and raised large families through many trials and triumphs. Along the way they taught and read and wrote poetry and gardened and sang and danced.
My grandma was a twin. Unfortunately her twin brother died as an infant. I think she has missed him her entire life.


Last week her little sister came up to visit from Idaho. My grandma is little. Pocket-size. All the grandkids are taller than she is by the time they are about 10 years old. In contrast to my grandpa who is over 6 feet.
Her baby sister is teeny tiny. Key-chain size.
So a bunch of us got together for a picnic in her beautiful backyard (the one with all the flowers and the large garden).

My kids were a little confused by the names. Since my parent's are their grandparents but my grandparents are the Great Grandparents, but I call them Grandma and Grandpa...throw in a great aunt, or a Great Great Auntie and no one knows who they are talking about!
Add to the fun a few more aunts and uncles, and our new baby cousins. Another set of twin boys!

No comments: