Monday, July 12, 2010

Book Shelf

Books I have been reading lately...

The Kind Diet - I like the whole approach of this book. And the website is really helpful and informative. Love it!

Super Natural Home - We are constantly being polluted by everything we touch, eat, or breath! Ok a little overwhelming but Beth Greer gives a lot of suggestions how you can take small steps to better health in every aspect of your home.

Raw Living - I don't want to eat raw all the time, but there are some tasty fresh ways to eat more vegies, whole grains, and fruit. I'm considering a dehydrator...

Probiotic Foods for Good Health - we need more fermented foods! (although much of this book focuses on yogurt but there are other non-dairy ways to get probiotics)

Skinny Bitch - talks about the benefits of vegan eating with a lot of sass and some cursing for emphasis. I wouldn't give it to my mom to read, but it does get the point across and made me laugh.

The Organic Pharmacy - love the idea of treating health issues naturally and with homeopathic remedies.

The Macrobiotic Path To Total Health - like a textbook of cures for many ailments, healing with macrobiotic foods. I find macrobiotics kind of intense, but I like the approach of including some recipes regularly. The Kind Diet, Superhero status is based somewhat on this approach to food.

The Great Paper Caper (a kids book with sweet illustrations) This is totally unrelated to the other books and topic of this post, but I have an art crush on Oliver Jeffers. ;)

I haven't been eating animal products for a a few months now. I don't have much problem avoiding meat (although it still smells really good when I'm hungry) and dairy isn't too bad, but sugar is still tough at times. And it's not like you can't eat sweets, but white sugar is everywhere!

I can't say that I've experienced any miracle cures so far, but I do feel better. The past few months have been crazy stressful and that always wreaks havoc on my digestive system. I feel that I've fared much better eating vegan. With a little less stress and a little more exercise, I think I will see more improvements.

One thing that seems obvious is just how much what we put in/on our bodies can effect our health. Yikes. And how much we don't know about the food we eat. Or we take for granted.
It feels overwhelming at times, but also empowering to know we can make different choices. Getting your kids/husband to appreciate those choices is a whole other matter!

p.s. All of the are from the public library, except The Kind Diet which I bought. I'd consider buying some of the others as they are a great reference or go-to recipes.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Great! Thanks for the list. I agree - it's crazy what we don't know about our food. I think it's even crazier what we don't know about our cosmetics. I'll have to check some of those books out of the library.

Mrs. M said...

Hmmmmm....all very interesting.
I served a quinoa recipe to my inlaws from the Kind Diet on Sunday....and they ate it! Even had seconds! Now, this is huge considering they are meat & potato farmers. Wuhoo!
Good job on the vegetarian eating.
We're still free eating BUT my nemesis is fat, portion control and sneak eating fast food crap!
I'm reading Women, Food & God which is really resonating with me....and then saw it on Oprah after I had already dove it.