Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Ode To Fleece

Images and patterns for cute little girl sundresses are taunting me. Pretty summer outfits are everywhere. The Babe has some already waiting in her closet. But the cruel reality is that we are stuck in the snow here, and it's going to be cold and ugly here for A LONG TIME still.
So what is a practical girl to do?
I've become fascinated with fleece. Sure it's soft and fuzzy, but it also requires no finished edges...even more fascinating...but what can you do with it other than making endless blankets and scarves?
Then I happened to pick up a copy of Bend The Rules Sewing at the store one day and saw 'The Wee Jacket'. And I knew I'd found gold.
This seems to be the perfect solution! I don't knit, but I have longed for some cute little sweaters to go over sweet little dresses.
You can literally fold your fabric in half, fold it again, to cut out your form. Then simply sew up the sides and underarm. Cut a hole for the head. In MINUTES. I then added a few embelishments, for fun and some ribbon to tie. DONE.
And then with the leftover fabric I sewed up a couple of simple pullovers. The Babe figured out how to take off her baby bag (she was getting too big for it anyway) so I've been trying to figure out a way to keep her cozy at night. I'm going to just slip one of these over her jammies to keep her snug in bed. Perfect!

7 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Eeee gads! So ingenius! Love it, love it, love it! Great job Mrs. TM!
I've been itching to sew for the boys...have you seen anything cute for them in your sewing travels? I'm hitting the wall in that dpt.

Jamie said...

Aw - so cute. Don't you love that book? It's my bible.

Two Mittens said...

The only thing I've tried for boys is pants. And while they aren't terribly hard to sew, I don't find them very exciting. I still have some cut out that I should get to. And my guys are so particular about what they like, it's just not worth it. Sad, isn't it?

Jamie - I don't actually have the book. I just happened to glance through it. I was going to ask you how you like it. Sounds like I'll have to go get myself one.

MA said...

Must give this a go...I haven't tried fleece yet - it sounds fantastic. Your finished products look adorable. Love them, well done!

jacjewelry said...

These are SO cute! When I was little, my mom sewed most of my clothes - I still remember some of them (although none of it was fleece). Fleece is fantastic - I always buy fleece blankets and clothes for my friends' babies!

Scribbit said...

Those are just gorgeous! So cute!

workinmom said...

I am impressed! Wow your children are so grown up now! Sorry you are experiencing the "winter blues" if it makes you feel any better it snowed here in Vancouver today! I wanted to go see my grandmother in the hospital, but got ten minutes down the highway and had to turn back, apparently just in time; about 3 minutes after I had turned around the radio mentioned that there was an accident on the bridge i was heading to and no traffic was getting though...